Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Christmas Mantle

As many of you know, I moved this year to be closer to my family. 1300 miles closer to be exact.
This is the first year we've lived close enough to family to be able to host a holiday at our house for my side of the family. Sooo, we're having Christmas at our house this year! Woohoo!
I love Christmas!
I think I've told you that a time or two. :)


Anyway, I've been rushing around trying to get the house ready. Every year, when we aren't traveling and I do actually decorate, I tend to do Christmas on the formal side.
This year, I've decided to get back to my country roots, and do an outdoor scene on my mantle.
It's taking some getting used to, but I think it's growing on me.


I'll show you a few pics I've taken along the way.
You'll only see my mantle right now because, well, because that's the only thing I have done so far.
And yes, I DO know it's the 21st! (oh lord help me!)

I'll fill you in on my decor when I'm done, but for now, I'll tell you that the tree branches and pine cones you see came from the very first live Christmas tree we planted in our yard when I was a kid. That was in 1975. I remember my mom and dad planting it that year. It was a big deal for us kids. 
Yes mother, I loaded my car with your yard scraps when I left the other day. :)















There are more memories attached to the mantle, and I'll share those with you in my next post.
(I've already tweaked the bottom part of the mantle after I took these pictures.)
The pictures make it look kind of skimpy, but I assure you that it is quite cozy in person.

I believe I'm actually starting to get in the holiday mood. Tonight I'll be cranking up the Christmas music, popping a bottle of wine, and decorating the tree while hubby sits on the couch and reminisces with me over Christmas' past.
I think that's the part of Christmas I love the most!


No comments:

Post a Comment