Thursday, February 4, 2010

Easy Peasy Repurposing

If you don't already know, and I know I 've mentioned it about a hundred times lately, I just moved 1300 miles about 2 weeks ago. Why does this matter, you ask. Well, because it's my excuse for using whatever I find in the next box I open to fill whatever need I have at the moment, since it appears that I still can't find all of the things I usually use for those said purposes.

So I thought I'd share a couple of little, easy peasy things I repurposed for new uses.
The reason I say easy peasy is because all that was required on my part was to clean the item up, put it in place, and fill it up.

Here's my first one.
This is an old baker's bread pan. I forgot I had it actually until I found it in a box labeled "kitchen" that was full of spray paint. Go figure. If you've read about my move, you undastan where I'm coming from.

A while back I used to set up at a flea market on a regular basis and I used this pan to display flavored coffees with my company logo that I gave away.
I always loved it, just never really knew how to use it.
Now I do. It's my breakfast station.

Found it like this:

Cleaned it up, took off the ribbon and berries and added a great drawer knob I found at a flea market shop.
And here it is now, in it's new home, filled with everything I require to get me going in the mornings: coffee, oatmeal, bread and cinnamon. Works perfect.
(Wallpaper in background should be ignored. I inherited it and it will soon be going away.)



I love those little key handles, so if you know where I can find them in stock, please let me know. I need about 12 of them.

See? Easy Peasy.
I'd say it doesn't get much easier than that, but it does. Read on.

One time I was in the parking lot of an antique mall getting ready to go inside when I spotted a woman trying her best to take some windows out of her trunk. I walked over to help her and discovered that she was a vendor there and was bringing in the windows from her 1908 house that had recently been replaced with newer versions.

Uhh, excuse me ma'am, but I'll just take those off your hands right now.
So I made a deal with her in the parking lot and I took everyone she had.
For 5 bucks a piece. Yes I did.
There were 14 of them.

In the mix were a few screens that were original to the house. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with those.
I knew I could resale all the windows, so I just agreed to take everything.

Here's my crown jewel.
Those of you who DIY understand the little pitter patter of my heart upon securing such a fabulous find, don't ya?

Perfect as is.
And here it is in it's new home.
I clip all of my special notes and goodies I've recevied from family and friends.
One day I'll read you the notes on here. They are indeed special.
I used the little clips you find on drapery rings to hang things. I just give them a little twist with my pliers so they won't turn.

And even easier still.................
What do you do with your pot lids? It drives me bonky to have them scattered in the cabinet. They just will not stay in place.
I usually have a lid holder attached to the inside of my pots and pan drawer, but again, I haven't found it yet, so I needed another solution.
Something easy.
I discovered that they worked perfectly in this basket when I tossed them in there to get them out of the way for a minute. Glad I did that. It works and I like it, and it doesn't look messy sitting out on the counter.
I've also discovered that I can hide our cell phone chargers in this basket and you can't see them. They're accessible and out of the way. See, you can't see them, can you? They're in there.

So there you have it, 'no effort decorating' at The Blair House.

What easy peasy projects can you share with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment