Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tea Staining Project - From Tablecloth to Lampshade

I've been digging through the early days of my blog and discovered something.
It appears that I've posted several projects that were in progress, promised to come back with the finished pictures.........and never did. oh so sorry

In my defense, I didn't forget - I just never finished the projects!
Needless to say there are plenty of unfinished things in my house.
I try to complete them, they just never seem to make it to the top of my priority list anymore.

However, I did come across one that I finished that I can share with you now.

You all know my love of all things tea stained.

In my very second blog post, I showed you how to tea stain for yourself.

In that post, I showed you a beautiful tablecloth I found at an antique store.
My intent was simply to tea stain it and use it on a table. Unfortunately, after I put it in the tea to soak, I realized that the previous owner had bleached it heavily. The smell was unmistakeable once it got wet, and I noticed that it was becoming more brittle the longer it soaked.
My heart sank when I pulled it out of the sink and it started coming apart.
Well, not being one to waste anything, I set it aside until I could decide what to use it for.
I decided on a lampshade.
-
And meant to do it right away.
-
But didn't.
-
Story of my life.

But I DID finally make it, and here it is.
This is the tablecloth before - crisp white, but on it's way to pure shabby creamy color.


And here's what I turned it into:






(sorry for the picture quality. took these a while back and my camera battery was going dead)
I raided my craft closet of bird items, keys, and ACEO tags. I made individual fabric embellishments, and then hot glued them to the shade. I then added lots of fun buttons (my signature go-to accessory) and keys, nests, and ribbons.
I made 3 of these and sold 2 of them right away. I love the way they turned out so I thought I'd take one home with me. But, after trying it out in every room of my home, I just can't find the perfect spot for it. Or the perfect lamp base for me. As lovely as it is, it's not fitting the look of my home.
So........
Maybe you love it. And maybe you have the perfect place for it. And maybe you want it for yourself.
:)
I'm selling this one!
If you're interested, let me know.
I sold these in the shop for $69, but I'm selling this last one for $42, plus $8 shipping.
If you want it, I'll load it up on etsy and send you the link.
It's ready to mailed out!
What projects have you started, meant to finish, and never have?
It's time to get those projects completed!
Marianne over at Songbird is hosting her Gitter Done party every week now, so we have a reason to get busy and Gitter DONE!
Doesn't matter how big or small the project as long it's been on your list for a while and you've FINALLY got it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment