Sunday, February 20, 2011

Birds of a Feather - Wall Art

My latest project satisfies my love for birds and nests perfectly.
I've had so many nests just laying around in various places throughout the house, and realized I had never tried to pull them together in a single collection.

Well, we all know that ideas can pop out of nowhere when we least expect them.
I was in the Habitat Restore one day and found 2 of those french door inserts.
You know, the flimsy plastic kind that snap into the frames around the glass.
It hit me immediately that I could hang it on the wall and pull a lot of my bird collection together to fill it.

And, since I had to get my living room finished before my VIP Guest arrived, it was a really quick alternative for wall art with a minimal amount of effort.

I had everything I needed to make this project happen, so I only had to spend the $5 it costs for the frame itself. Can't beat that!


I took the stark white frame and dry brushed on a bit of brown glaze to age it, then laid out my plan on the floor to get it the way I wanted before I committed to it on the wall.

I was in a rush to get it finished, so there are no pictures of the process, but it's such an easy-peasy project that I know you can decifer it from the pictures.
Once I got it the way I wanted it, I simply hung nails to hold the nests, and used double sticky tape to hold the pictures.


I hung it above the small desk that I have in the corner of my living room.
A large piece of art for that small piece of furniture I know, but it gives me the impact I was hoping for.








Oh yeah, I also jazzed up another lamp. I found the shade at a thrift store for about 2 bucks, and I added one of my flower embellishments to the center and eyelash trim to the bottom.
(Trim from Hobby Lobby, Fabric Flower from my shop)
(I found my graphics for the wall piece at The Graphics Fairy, and purchased
a few more from Masterpiece Designs on Etsy.)
 
I love the way it warms up an otherwise drab corner!






No comments:

Post a Comment