Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Duck, Duck, uh......Mallard? Finding joy in the Little Things

So last night I told you I'd tell you tonight what we happened upon yesterday that really was an unexpected treat. Well, everyday we drive down the road in front of our house and we pass this little lake that looks more like a big pond from the road. A few days ago we saw 2 boats on the water with people fishing, but we couldn't figure out how they got there.

Yesterday, we decided to drive down the road closest to it to see where the actual boat dock was.
Wow, what a surprise we got! There was a whole park back there, and that big pond was actually a winding lake. It was fabulous.There's a ball park, an amphitheatre, a wedding chapel, a fishing dock, a picnic area, and these, lots of these.

Literally, when we drove around the bend and came upon this, it took my breath away. I had to jump out of the car and take a few pictures.


Isn't it wonderful?

It was such a cold and dreary day, and the wind was blowing which made it even colder, and yet here were all of these ducks strutting around like they didn't have a care in the world. It truly did feel magical for a moment.

As I began to walk towards them I felt for sure they would quickly scatter and dart away from me. But instead they walked directly up to me, no doubt thinking I would feed them.

Here I was with nothing for them, only a Hershey bar for myself in my pocket. I felt so bad, and it didn't take them long to realize I came empty handed...........


That's right. They turned around and walked away.
My husband sat in the car laughing at me. It was a funny sight, seeing them run up to me, ponder a moment, and then turn around and leave.
Next time I'll know to stuff my pockets with bread.

As we were leaving the park, we spotted this, which perfectly thrilled my husband since he enjoys fishing. He was excited that we found this only two miles from the new house. So was I, but for different reasons.

I bet those people feel so peaceful out there.

And do you see that little red barn through the tree branches? As soon as I figure out how to get over there, I'll be taking some pictures of that as well.
I wanted to show you more pictures of this wonderful place, but it'll require a warmer day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And just so you don't think I've stopped unpacking and started playing, here's a sneak peek of Friday's post:

I can't for the life of me figure out why the pillow was removed from it's cover, and I sure haven't found it yet.
BUT, I DID find those pesky brackets I've been looking for for days. If they had been a snake, they'd have bit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment