Saturday, January 2, 2010

I'm a Designer and I'm a Seamstress. So What Does That Mean for You?

WARNING: This is a very long post, but there is a purpose to it. Read On.

I am a designer. I design. I decorate. I build. I paint. I create. I sew.  And I teach others to sew.

I do design work because I enjoy being able to bring a client's home to life and give it a personality
that it might not otherwise have had. I thrive on being able to bring a client's vision to fruition.

I decorate because I love to see beautiful art, accessories, furnishings, and paint make such a statement that it somehow moves me.

I build things because I just can't help myself. The more I make, the more I learn, so I keep going. I own most every tool known to man woman.
I paint things because it provides a transformation that gives you the biggest bang for your decorating buck.
And it makes me giddy to see that happen.

I create things because I collect so many trinkets I have no choice but to start making things with all of it.

And, I sew. I sew because it is my favorite thing to do. I sew because I get excited when I see the magic that takes shape from a piece of fabric. I sew because I can turn a bolt of fabric into a wonderful slipcover that can makeover an old sofa in an instant. And because I can make pillows with luscious trims and fabrics that look like you found them in a French Bed & Breakfast. I love to sew.

So where I am going with this?
Well, you've seen the whimsical, the philosophical, the nuturing, the fun side of me, and the side that can't shut up. Now I'm going to show you the serious side of me. The side that is all business. The side of me that makes a living. The side that only my clients see.

I want to share some of my design work with you. Some of my client's homes. And  some of what that seamstress side of me can do too.

And then, when you're done looking through the pictures, read about why I am writing this post, and how it can benefit you. I'm starting something new in February and I'd like for you to help me make it successful. I'll give you a hint. Would you like to learn sewing tips from a professional seamstress? Someone that can walk you through your project without headaches? Would you like to be able to ask a professional designer questions without having to bring them to your house? Do you need general advice on your home, or thorough advice on a project?
Then keep reading..................I can help.









Whew, that was a lot of picture editing!

Ok, here's the deal:
I love to teach people how to do things, and I want to start to teach you if you'd like to learn.
Starting in February, you'll see BRAND NEW features on my blog, customized for you, and by you.

I want to know what you want to know.
I want to teach you what you want to learn. It's that simple.
So what I'd like for you to do is tell me what that is. Do you need sewing tips?
Would you like to know how to make a corded pillow? With a zipper? Or a duvet? Or a slipcover? Maybe a bedskirt?
Would you like to know why you machine is giving you fits? What's causing that thread nesting? Why are you getting runs in your fabric when you sew? What size needle do you use for what type of fabric?
What is that sound your machine is making? How do you know when to oil it?

What is the difference in one paint vs another? How do you choose the right countertops for your kitchen.

I could keep asking you the questions, but I'd rather you tell me what you'd like for me to talk about, explain, show you, teach you, etc.

I want to help. Please help me by spreading the word.
I'm starting a Home Decor Help Series.

Starting in February:
The first Monday of every month will cover MACHINE MAINTENANCE
This is where I'll cover your machine troubleshooting questions.

The first Tuesday of every month will be TIPS ON TUESDAYS
This is where I'll give you the secret to tips and tricks in the workroom that can help you save time.
Feel free to submit your own tip for me to feature.

The second Wednesday of every month will be WEDNESDAY IN THE WORKROOM.
This is where I'll cover whatever I'm working on at the time. This is also where you'll learn to make wonderful creations for your own home and be able to add that extra bling without fear.

The second and fourth Friday of the month will be DESIGNER FRIDAY.
This is where I'll answer the questions you've submitted to me via email about your decorating and design dilemas or curiousities.
Your very own design forum, right here inside this blog.

So what do you think? Are you ready to get on board with me?

Start your questions right here in the comments thread.
I'll be gone until January 15th, and I'll leave this as the first post you see until then.
I want to give enough time for you to post your questions.

Please pass the word. IT'S FREE.
When I return, you'll see the new links to submit your questions in the header. I'm creating a navigation bar just for this so that you won't have to go back and find this post. And, I'll remind you a few days before each feature incase you've come up with a new question.

DISCLAIMER: (so to speak). I do not sew clothing, so I will not be covering that. If you have questions about quilting, well, I'm not a quilter. This is solely a home decor series.









No comments:

Post a Comment