Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rain, Rain, and More Rain

So here's how clueless we are. It rained hard here for a few days non-stop. HARD RAIN. There was non-stop thunder to go along with it. I kept telling my husband how much I loved the thunder. (See, I told ya - clueless.)

My mom lives a little over an hour and a half from me, and Nashville is in the middle of my house and hers. She called me two nights ago and asked how our weather was. I told her it had been raining all day (since 2 am) and night and she told my clueless self to get off my backside and turn on the news. Apparently she was getting 60 mph winds and was expecting a tornado. Perhaps, she thought, I should check my own weather.

But when your mother tells you she's a sitting duck just waiting on the tornado to come through her community, you kinda forget about yourself and tune into her news. And you text everybody you know and ask them to say a prayer for her safety. So, we sat glued to the tv news for the next 3 hours watching what was going on in her neck of the woods. We completely forgot to check our own weather.
In the end, she was safe. Just some property damage.

All the next day we tuned into the Nashville news channel to see what kind of destruction they were facing from the floods and storms. My husband works in Nashville, so we had to keep a check on the roadways.
Well, we had to go out yesterday for me to go to the doctor (another migraine-ugh), and discovered that our own roads were closed.  You could've knocked us over with a feather. We had no clue we got flooding here. We proceeded to drive around with our mouths hanging open in disbelief looking at all of the flooding we had right in our own neighborhood. Could we really have been that clueless? The answer unfortunately is yes.

Searching my own news channel websites today, I managed to snag a few pictures.

We live in the middle of a triangle. To one side of us is Three Springs Road, to the other is Elrod Road. These are our only two exits out of our subdivision.

Here is Three Springs Road yesterday.



Here is Elrod Road:

Here is the ballpark out on the main highway, not far from the house.

And here is somewhere down closer to town.
Notice the difference in the water height at the signs in the forefront of the picture, vs the height at the ones in the back.

I guess we can claim Lady Luck on our side. Seems everyone around us was affected, but not our particular subdivision. We had the strong whistling winds, but thankfully no flooding of our own.

When this migraine goes away (2nd one since last week), I plan to get out and drive around and take my own pictures. Unfortunately I can't see very well when my eyes are throbbing their way out their sockets. Ugh. I get so tired of this pain. Waiting on hubby to come home and give me a shot to put me out of my misery.

-----------------------------------------------
Keep the people in these areas in your thoughts and prayers. Many have lost lives and homes- literally everything they own. A few people drown in their cars after getting stuck on the interstate while waiting for help that didn't get there in time. I just can't seem to get that out of my mind. It is so devastating.

Be thankful for what you have and pray for those who have not.

The Red Cross is taking donations to help the areas affected.
Please give a little if you can.

There are many low income people in these areas that have no way to replenish their losses.
And to make matters worse, the news is saying that Home Owner's insurance will not cover the damages to all of the homes that were destroyed by flooding unless they had a specific Flood Insurance Rider. I can only imagine how many did not. They are going to need help recovering from this.

So how about you? Were you affected by the floods? Know anybody who was?

No comments:

Post a Comment