Saturday, October 3, 2009

Instantly Aged..........................a quick fireplace mantle makeover

Have you ever wanted a quick way to spruce up your mantle without having to commit to a long, drawn out process? Whether your mantle is wood, stone, or tile, there's always an easy fix for an update.
I'll show you what I did to my white wood mantle to get instant age in a couple of hours.

Here's what I started with:

I wish I had taken pictures while I was painting so that I could show you the step-by-step process. However, on the night this transformation took place I was watching tv, and for some reason I couldn't tolerate this white out of the corner of my eye. So, off to the basement I went to see what I had that would get rid of that white before morning.
After a bit of searching, I found some of those little bottles of Ceramacoat paints. I ended up with Butterscotch paint, black paint, and a brown glaze. I gathered my paint supplies and headed upstairs without a clue as to what I was going to do.

I started by painting the mantle with the three bottles of butterscotch paint I found. (What is that........about 9 ounces??) I didn't really care much for that, so I dry-brushed over it in black. Of course I got the black too heavy, so then I had to wipe it down with a warm wet cloth to back some of it out.
It was starting to  look better now,  but it was still a little 'too dry' looking for my taste. I decided to go ahead and whip out the glaze. I mixed that half and half with water,and went to town with it.
When it was all dry, I sealed it with a matte topcoat.

Here's what I ended up with:


A Close up:


Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that I added this wood embellishment to it before I started.

And here's a close up of the corbels:



A simple an easy project that can make a big impact in a short amount of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment